This is such a lovely, imaginative game! The world you created is so beautiful, and believable and intricate. I really loved all the details, like the thought you put into music and sound effects, the texture on the art and the sprites, the GUI. All the characters were distinct, likable, and complex, really, the writing is amazing! Even the humor was the right kind of lighthearted. I found everything to be very dream-like, and you were spot on in creating a magical narration!! Thank you for making such a lovely game!
A downloadable game for Windows, macOS, and Linux
Welcome back, Princesses!
It's your second year in St. Goals and you've all done a remarkable job last year. In fact, some of you managed more than ten Villaintines, a grand feat! I hope you all have the same performance this year too!
Now, before we start this year and I let you go to your assigned Villaintines, let's all state the Princess Code:
I, state your name, would uphold the school's mission to clear the world of evil. By giving love to those scorned and turning those monsters into angels. I will be a representative of Peace, Love, and Tranquility...
The Princess knew the code by heart. She is one of the many in St. Goals who wants to help turn a Villain's life around by showing them that someone out there can try to understand them. That there's someone who just wants to be their friend and show them love.
Also, she failed last year's assignment so this year might just be her chance to achieve something... in apparently, just five days.
In which she finds out that everything is just based on stereotypes and her beliefs are not exactly as good as she thinks it is.
- Stereotypes: the Villains and Princesses' edition
- One Ending but with two variations
- Choices that don't heavily influence the story, they are there for a variety of responses.
it only matters if you want to be possible lovers in the future.
- Extras section!
- Playable in Windows, Mac, and Linux
- Cute Character Sprites (?)
- Sob stories (?)
- Monochrome Backgrounds
- A protagonist who tells bad jokes and pick-up lines
- A tsundere side character
- A dog who hates your very presence
- A fanboy who asks for signatures in lanterns
- And many more...
The Princess (alias-able: instead of a name, you give her an alias!)
'Don't worry, I'll make your life colorful if you let me.'
A cheerful girl who thinks a lot. After failing last year, and being nagged by her Father day in day out, she wanted to do her best this year.
- can sometimes call herself 'The Princess of Bad Timings'
badjokes and pick-up lines
but might lowkey self-depreciate
The Villain (his name can appear early in the game or at the end)
'It seems unable to take a hint.'
The Princess' assigned Villaintine for the year. He might seem villainy in the overall atmosphere of his home, the Princess is still uncertain what exactly makes him a villain.
- refers to everything as 'It'
stuck in the emo phase you can probably steal from his house
For credits, the full list is in the game's folder.
- This is a submission for FFS Jam 2018, wherein I finally achieved something :D
- Please don't use the rollback feature too much at the moment. I'm referring to being able to go back by scrolling up with your mouse because something magical will happen (jk, just the quick menu disappearing). It's not something I can fix (I'll see what I can do next time) so just please don't use it too much or even at all. As an alternative, you can just click on the 'Back' or save at a menu choice.
- If you find any other bug aside from the quick menu issue, please email me at email@example.com with a screenshot of said bug.
- Here's Mr. Couture's article about the game: http://www.siliconera.com/2018/01/25/princess-shows-bad-guy-love-villaintine/
- I also post some TV-art in my twitter so you can go visit me there. (Recent art post : The Villain's face reveal xD)
- Kinda deactivated the ask.fm account in favor of the curiouscat.me, so you can ask me there instead (if you're planning to that is).
- 24/02/2018 - Official Walkthrough uploaded ~ (and some minimal grammatical edits - @bumblebeary's gameplay helped in me discovering some stuff but yeah, I'm really sorry about that and thank you for understanding.)
- 22/02/2018 - I noticed something the third day that I just really need to change. It's just one word, nothing crucial. So yeah, minimal update.
- 28/01/2018 - I finished proofreading and transferring it to rpy files so the VN should be okay now, grammar-wise :D (I managed to fit it through the schedule, lol. Anyways, if you still notice some stuff that might have slipped my attention then feel free to tell me.)
1. Download the files.
2. Unzip the archive.
with itch.io desktop app version
1. Just search the game's title in the app and click install.
Log in with itch.io to leave a comment.
xD oh em gee, thank you for playing The Villaintine and for your lovely comments :D (I apparently lack the penchant of saying more/rambling when I'm on the receiving end). But anyways, thanks for dropping by and playing this VN! I'm glad to see that I'm able to achieve the effect that I wanted (even though it was strictly time-limited and the hardships I conquered to finish it, anyways!). You're welcome :D
I'm not done playing the game but it's a really lighthearted game. I like the placement and use of music. The art style is cute.
I like how it's mentioned in the book that there's a girl villain because I felt that in their world there were only boy villains. It felt biased because it seemed like only girls can turn villains into good people. And, the story in the book was made by his mother so the story may not even be true as in, there may not even be girl villains.
Anyway, the whole game is just a nice cheerful game and some parts makes me feel nostalgic. Good job.
I wondered if I should say something until you finished the game but since you took the time to review while you're still midway then I should say something at least. So, first of all, thank you for the compliments :D and I'm glad I was able to really uphold the lightheartedness (*sweats* that had been a journey). I won't answer the stuff about the girl villains since you'll find out more soon once you're done with the game. And yep, in their universe, only princesses can turn villains into good people, which is solely based on the beliefs grounded under the 'Princess Story', while the princes are tasked to do something else (which I hope I will be able to show in the sequel). That's about it, thank you for giving this VN a try, I really appreciate it :)
I really love this VN. It's fluffy and very light hearted to read,a nice change of pace for me. Great job! <3
Aw, thanks a lot ~ and I can relate, it's a nice change of pace for me too (altho it has its hurdles but still a nice change of pace and sidenote: please share the fanfic if you ever finished writing one xD).
I loved it!! And I also love your art!! it really suit the story! I love how cheery the mc is and I'm the same as her, I can't read what the Villain really think about :"D Overall this is a nice, fluff story, and I wish to read more about them and perhaps expanded more on their universe too? (I think about the history regarding princess that help villain through friendship is really nice and original!)
Hello there and thank you for the compliments :) It's cool that I get to meet someone who's the same as the MC (really cool xD). Also, the Villain prefers to be mysterious that's why you can't get much of what he's really thinking (that and the fact that you can't see his eyes). Anyways, I can tell you that he really is sincere. Welps, you'll get more on their universe on the sequel (something I might do if I ever got around it. If you stalked my Twitter, you'd see an early character concept :3). Sidenote: As for the history, I'm glad that you think it's nice and original :) So, yeah, thank you so much, lifians :D
True, he's too mysterious and with his bangs closing his eyes made me can't read him too much and I just keep picking choice where I just said "..maybe he wants to?? but probably not??" so yes,, XD (probably why I got the friend ending lol)
OOOHHHH-!!! I'd love to see the sequel <3 I like reading your stories, please keep 'em coming!! (only if you have time for it aaaa-)
Aw, thank you (I shall post updates on Twitter and on this page too as a devlog so just look out for the probable next game). Yes, he is very mysterious. Anyways, I do have a more official walkthrough in the devlog so if you haven't checked it yet then here it is. Please check it out (if you want to xD it's just minor extras either way). Lastly, I posted something in Twitter, which showed the Villain without the bangs, check it here.
Yep, people getting the friendship ending is really intended so it's understandable why most people get that first. Since you don't use twitter much then I'll post in my tumblr too so you'll be updated without having to check Twitter. And you cute angel xD thank you so much for the fanart, I really appreciate it and your art style is really lovely (like really lovely I might frame it in my room or something) :3
Nice work. Yay! You finished something. <3